Wednesday, November 27, 2013

83: My Low Glycemic Load List

It's PREP DAY!! Just not the type of prep days that we are used to thus-far. I am prepping for Thanksgiving tomorrow, and from the 7 Days of Thanksgiving, I am making my pumpkin pie, stuffing, and Brussel sprouts dish. The kitchen smelled so good that my hubby, who loves pumpkin pie, even offered to help stir. I am so thankful that my husband's family are willing to try out some of my healthier and LGL recipes! Speaking of which..

Here is list that I have been trying to adhere to in this month, though without this list officially made, I have made the mistakes of eaten things that are on the NO GO list. The glycemic load rating is important because it keeps your blood sugar at an even level instead of having extreme fluctuations. Having excess sugar in your blood puts you at risk of diabetes, and leads to weight gain. The LGL No-go list are healthy foods (minus maybe the popcorn) and have medium levels of excess sugars in them. True, they are good, natural sugars, but it is best to not put excess sugars into the bloodstream at this late time of night, when the body does not have ample time and activities to use it up.

LGL OK List
These are foods that are ok to eat after 6pm

Apples
Canteloupe
Cauliflower
Chia seeds
Eggs
Eggplant
Ezekiel Bread*
Lentils
Marinara sauce
Motzerella
Oatmeal
Rye Bread*
Squash
Zucchini

(*only in small amounts)


LGL NO-GO List
These foods are good for you, but not ok to eat after 6pm

Bananas
Barley
Black Beans
Chickpeas
Coconut milk
Couscous
Gluten-free bread
Popcorn
Quinoa
Split-peas
Sweet potatoes
Veggie Burgers


This is not an exhaustive list, but one made up of foods that I would eat throughout the day, and was curious about. Other items on the No-go list would include things that I though were obvious. Too obvious to list them, but things like pasta (even WW), and rice.

Here is how I did today :)



FOOD
Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs with cheese, and some cantaloupe
Snack: I had a 12 oz hot chocolate with a friend, and an apple
Lunch: whole wheat pasta with meat marinara
Snack: a HBE and a banana
Dinner: marinated pork loin with steamed broccoli

EXERCISE
I went on a 2 mile run! Yay! It isn't what I planned (30 mins) because I wanted to prevent the runners runs, but, oh well. Lesson learned. I'm consistently running about a 10:30 per mile!

Thanks for reading all!

No comments: