Friday, November 15, 2013

Day 72: The Healthy Thanksgiving Menu

Hola, faithful Bloggies!!



Today was the one, full day at the bazzar, and although I planned ahead by bringing snacks along, we ran out of time before we needed to leave in order to be on time for the start this morning, so we didn't pack an actual lunch, and therefore were eating every 2-3 hours smaller, snacky foods, and not actual lunch... but more about that later...

First, how did the day look in terms of the basics of the B3 project?



FOOD
Breakfast: swedish pancakes with greek yogurt & fresh raspberry filling, a sunny-side up egg, & turkey bacon
Snack: a banana and a string cheese
Snack: an apple and a balance bar
Snack: a half an apple and a string cheese
Dinner: thanks to my dad, whose cullinary mercy we were under, we had pasta puttanesca and garlic bread - ALL CARBS, yikes! But because I had not planned ahead and packed lunch, my mom and I were snacking every 2-3 hours on the snacks that I had brought (apples, bananas, string cheese and balance/protein bars). It was a valliant idea, but I did not bring any vegetables, and had very little protein, and as you have learned from reading this blog, protien is power-food, and prep is KING. 

Next time, I will bring fresh, raw green beans and mini peppers, probably a cooler for some sliced turkey and HBE's, maybe some greek yogurt, and I did plan to make my ricotta muffins or some of my mini blueberry banana muffins. 

Planning ahead is KING!! It is SO IMPORTANT! The sad thing is, I know this, and I still failed to plan!! So, by the time it was 5 o'clock, I was STARVING and didn't CARE what my dad brought, as long as it was FOOD. 



EXERCISE
My mom and I were at the bazaar again today for 10 hours, on our feet most of the day, walking around the bazaar and manning our tables. We were active, but not doing intentional exercise. Still, at the end of it all, we were TIRED, and ready to come home and crash, but not before we also prepped a lot of the food for tomorrow (our Turkey day!). Since we will be back at the bazaar in the mid morning and early afternoon, we wanted to help the boys out by prepping as much of the food as possible, so there will be less for them to do. We are planning a feast!!

A Healthy Thanksgiving - Menu
I have included the links to these recipes, rather than posting them all here, so cut and paste to your heart's content!

Simple Roast Turkey

(Gluten free & Paleo friendly) Ezekiel Bread Cranberry Stuffing

http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2012/12/grain-free-paleo-stuffing-cranberry-flax/


Cauliflower Mashed "Potatoes"

http://faithfulnessfarm.blogspot.com/2013/01/olive-oil-garlic-romano-cheese-mashed.html


Oven-Roasted Butternut Squash, Apples & Sweet potatoes with cinnamoned-cranberries

http://www.cafejohnsonia.com/2012/01/butternut-squash-cranberry-and-apple.html


Mushroom & Green Bean casserole with shallot crumb topping - 

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/11/lightened-up-green-bean-casserole-with.html


Pan Seared Brussel Sprouts with cranberries & pecans - 

http://funstocki.blogspot.com/2013/10/pan-seared-brussels-sprouts-with.html


Pumpkin pie with a Pecan-butter crust - 

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/desserts/r/pecancrust.htm


Thanks for reading all! 
I can't wait for dinner tomorrow... or in this case we'll call it Thanksgiving "Luncheon" as we are eating at around 2pm. As pooh bear sings "time to munch an early luncheon, hum dee dum dum dum".

No comments: