Saturday, November 16, 2013

Day 73: Turkey DAY!!!

Hello failthful bloggies! I am sorry this is going out so late, but I have been having an amazing evening with my family, in the home I grew up in. 



There is a feeling I have aroung my childhood home and the air itself, and the feel of warmth in the house feels the same today for me at 30, as it did when I was 8. The comforting coziness and the familiarity of the space; there is a memory in every corner of the old, family homestead, despite how much things have changed and the personnel additions of brother-in-laws, nephews and neices. Everythingis better at home and with my family. Even food tastes better at the old, paint and project-stained table of the dinning room.  Joined closely to the the table is the kitchen by just a few feet away, so we can nibble and pick-a-little-talk-a-little (cheep, cheep) as dinner is being made. Holidays never feel the same when spent elsewhere and with anyone else. 

True, the day was a bit of a blur. I woke up early to help prep more ingredients for the FEAST. Then we went to the bazaar. After 4 hours and a mad dash to break down and pack it in, we headed back to the old homestead to have our thanksgiving dinner. The menu was a perfect juxtoposition of savory and sweet.  Every dish was flavor filled and delicious, and there were plenty of empty plates and dishes being emptied by seconds and thirds--right down to the pumpkin pie. 



FOOD = free day!!
Not a great day for food, due to mitigating circumstances, but a GREAT foodie-enjoyment day!! 
Breakfast: an orange cinnamon roll and a peach chobani Greek yogurt
Snack: a Dansih left on my chair and a banana
      That tided me over until our Thanksgiving luncheon at 2!
And like I said yesterday, in listing the menu, everything was SO, SO, SO great!!

I had nothing but rave reviews on the menu planning aspect of the meal even, though we executed untested recipes. I will share our experience and troubleshooting of other's recipes that we used this next week so that prior to your Thanksgiving. If you chose to use these (which you should), we have worked out the bugs for you today, while employing the skills of a trained cullinary expert, which resulited in, cullinary and healifited Thankgiving perfection!! 



FOOD continued...
Luncheon: Thanksgiving goodness
Snack 2: pecan crusted pumpkin pie
Snack 3: popcorn and a few glasses of port...
Snack 4: 2 cinnamon-honey crepes..

Not my best food day for low calories, but, truly, one of the best nights of my life (more on that tomorrow)!  I will, however cite my tip of the day from day 67, about how alcohol impedes your judgement, and makes it easier to continue to make poor, liquid-calorie decisions. This is the case with me right now. So...



Stay tuned for the "7 Days of Thanksgiving."  I will give you one of the spectacular, tested, and proven Thanksgiving dishes each of the days.  My husband said it was the best Thanksgiving meal ever!

1 comment:

Jen Jacobs said...

Well I have to say that after being rather skeptical and thinking "it just won't be the same" Your recipes turned out to be a great turn up on the thanksgiving feast. Who would ever make their green been casserole from cans again if they tried this recipe? Amazing.
And a little drinkie or 2 or 3 once in while didn't ever hurt anyone right? When in the name of good fun and festivities. Super fun time and can't wait to see what you cook us to replace fondue for Christmas.